A big thank you to FiddleTwix over at The Anime Madhouse for nominating me for this award. I’ve actually done this one before when it was making the rounds back in 2016, but I figure that’s plenty of space to leave between blog awards, right?
– Thank the person who nominated you and provide a link to their blog so others can visit them.
– List the rules and display the Sunshine Blogger Award logo in your post.
– Answer eleven questions asked by the nominator.
– Nominate eleven bloggers of your choosing and ask them eleven questions of your own.
– Notify the nominees by commenting on one of their blog posts/pages.
I’ll be ignoring those final two rules, as I don’t want to bother anyone by tagging them when there already seem to be plenty of these things making the rounds, but if you’re reading this and want to join in, by all means please do! I’ll still be listing eleven questions of my own for people to answer, either in a comment on this post or on their own blog if they prefer.
Without further ado, here were my questions:
1. What’s a food most people seem to love, but you dislike?
Pickles (though in New Zealand we often call them gherkins). In hamburgers or out of them, I could really skip these – can I just get freshly sliced cucumber instead?
2. If you could live in any anime world, where would you live and why?
I’d probably pick a real-world setting but where fantasy exists – if you know where to look. Something like Cardcaptor Sakura comes to mind, since then I’d feel relatively sure that no matter what happened, everything would work out as it should in the end.
3.What anime world would you absolutely never want to live in?
Yakusoku no Neverland. Enough said.
4. What’s an anime character you believe was unjustly killed off?
My friends and I actually have a running gag that if I declare someone to be my favourite character in an anime show, they’re destined to be killed off. But right off the top of my head, let’s just say I still start getting teary-eyed every time Maes Hughs shows up on screen in Fullmetal Alchemist to this day.
5. What was your favorite toy growing up?
I was That Kid who read a lot. But I also remember collecting those cats with the fluffy tails from Littlest Pet Shop.
6. What’s one skill you want to develop but haven’t found the time/money/energy to do so?
I’m an excellent swimmer and adore the water, but I’ve always wanted to learn how to surf as well.
7. What’s an anime character that nearly ruined an entire series for you?
Despite its many, many flaws, Elfen Lied might have been actually worth my while if it hadn’t been for Yuka. Good lord she annoyed the everloving crap out of me. I have a very particular hatred in my soul for female characters who are presented as desperate, needy and possessive.
8. Likewise, what’s one anime character that made an otherwise terrible/boring anime exponentially better?
I wouldn’t call it a terrible anime – more just a fairly boring one if you’re not a moe superfan – but I almost certainly would have given up on Lucky Star had it not been for the end segments with Akira. There’s a delightful kind of humour in a character who presents herself as an ultra-cutesy idol but turns out to be a chain smoking, cynical entertainer on the brink of violent insanity whenever she’s ‘off screen’.
9. Any item from any anime is now a life-size merch item. You can get one item absolutely free. Which one would you get?
I’ve pretty much stopped buying anime merchandise of any kind, aside from the odd purely practical kind of item like a mug or understated t-shirt, but that’s okay, because I already have the only life-size merch item I’ll ever need – a complete deck of Clow Cards (Cardcaptor Sakura).
10. Do you have any tattoos? If so, what are they? If not, would you want to get one?
I have two small tattoos. One is a pair of wings, one angel-like and one demon-like, on my lower back. The other, a crescent moon with a basic Celtic-esque design inside, is on my left hip. I’m happy with both tattoos but don’t currently have plans for any more.
11. What do you do when you have writer’s/artist’s block?
Do my best to relax and ignore it. I don’t know how it is for other people but for me, it only gets worse when I try to force anything, and intentionally putting more stress on myself probably isn’t going to help the situation any.
Thank you all for reading, and below are my 11 new questions for anyone at all who’d like to participate. Numbers 1 through 6 are general questions, the rest are anime-specific. Enjoy!
1. What clothing or fashion item would you absolutely wear… if you could pull it off?
2. What’s the first ever book, TV show or movie that made you cry?
3. If it was perfectly safe to do so and you had the time and money available, what country would you want to visit right now?
4. Do you have a celebrity you really admire (for reasons other than their work)?
5. How would you describe yourself in just 3 words?
6. What do you think happens to you after you die?
7. What two anime shows would make for a great original crossover series?
8. Has your taste in anime changed much since you first started watching it (and if so, how)?
9. Do you have a favourite anime director? If so, who?
10. If you had all the right skills to work on an anime series, what job would you like to have (director, writer, animator, composer, etc.)?
11. What is THE best anime opening of all time (and yes, you can pick only one).