(Or, as it should possibly be titled, A Very Late Reply To That Post I Commented On Once Saying I’d Write This Post.)
I use the word ‘unpopular’ for lack of a better term. I’m sure that there are plenty of people who agree with many of these opinions, just as there are obviously plenty of those who don’t. I could use ‘controversial’ instead I suppose, but I’d probably still run into the same kind of problem, so whatever. Let’s not get too bogged down in the semantics.
Obligatory disclaimer: As the title suggests, these are purely my own opinions. I decided to limit myself to the first ten that came to mind, since while I can no doubt think of further potentially unpopular statements, I don’t feel like writing anything overly long on the subject. If you disagree with said opinions (which I assume is at least partially the point), more power to you.
Right, let’s have at it then.
1. I don’t care for Clannad.
3. Durarara!! is far superior to Baccano! in every way.
4. I disliked Naruto, Bleach, Fairy Tail, One Piece, and even InuYasha and Rurouni Kenshin enough that I’m automatically predisposed towards hating not only shounen battle shows, but also anything over about 50 episodes long. I can probably still count on one hand the number of anime over this episode length that I think are above average. (FYI not dissing people who enjoy any of these shows. You’re a Naruto fan? Good for you.)
5. I hate it when people say or write ‘animes’. I don’t care if this makes me a so-called elitist – if I see ‘animes’ written in a blog post, I’m likely to stop reading there and then.
6. Ditto when it comes to incorrect spelling or grammar. The odd typo is probably inevitable at some point, but I’m much less likely to read a post at all or follow a blogger if they consistently screw it up, regardless of whether or not I agree with their opinions or find their ideas interesting.
7. I’m completely happy with the ending to the Evangelion television series. It makes perfect sense to me, both narratively and thematically. Much less do I like the two original movies, Death and Rebirth and The End of Evangelion. Oh, I’ve read all the theories. I just think the movies themselves are bullshit.
8. Nothing against Hosoda Mamoru, but lovely visuals aside I just don’t think Summer Wars is a good film.
9. Despite it’s obvious and profound flaws (which I think I did a fair job of pointing out myself), I genuinely enjoyed Sword Art Online. Yes, even the second half.
10. I don’t think anime is getting worse. I just think people are getting lazier and/or their standards are changing based on their experiences and expectations. If you identify as an anime fan but can’t find any recent shows that you like, it’s probably because you’re not trying hard enough.
Question of the post: Chime on in. What are some opinions about anime you have that could be considered unpopular?